Thursday 3 February 2011

Bobbin Lace

I learnt to do bobbin lace about 23yrs ago! I am now trying to re-learn. Teaching myself through a number of books I have and some new ones which I have pictured below. I will keep you updated on my progress. Lacemaking takes time & patience. It is a slow craft but very addictive with some beautiful results...hopefully!!
A mixture of lovely bobbins with beautiful spangles (beads) some I bought and some were gifts. A mixture of wood (which I prefer), plastic and I have one ebony!

'King tut' - a french cat that visits every day for cuddles and does everything he can to stop me doing my lace!

This one I had from twenty yrs ago.
Looking forward to trying some of the projects in here but I need to be a bit more advanced than I am at the moment. Getting there but slowly!!

This is a great book for beginners. A bit of history and a clear teaching method. Thanks Doris.
A piece of work I made 20 + yrs ago!


Before you start making the lace you have to prick out the patterns and wind your bobbins with your chosen colour. Patterns can take from as little as 6 pairs of bobbins and upwards. depending on the complexity of the piece. It is a lot of winding!
A bookmark I made last week.
An edging to go around a piece of cotton or linen.
A pink coaster
Numerous bookmarks I have made. They make great presents.

No comments: